Michael J. Conlan
609-396-8257 x304 phone
Before coming to Backes and Hill, Mr. Conlan was a partner at Blank Rome, a national law firm with over 500 lawyers. At Backes and Hill, he is able to provide clients with the benefit of his “big law” litigation experience in a smaller setting, at significantly lower costs. Mr. Conlan has represented clients in many industries, including software, real estate, construction, insurance, banking, pharmaceutical, manufacturing, and payment processing, as well as governmental entities. He has extensive experience in state and federal courts handling:
- Breaches of contracts, joint venture agreements and fiduciary duties
- Violations of non-compete and non-solicitation agreements
- Trust and estate litigation (including will contests and guardianship disputes)
- Employment claims (including discrimination, retaliation, and wrongful termination)
- Tort actions (including negligence, misappropriation of trade secrets and confidential information, wrongful death and consumer fraud)
- Partnership and closely held corporation disputes
- Appeals of local planning and zoning decisions
- Creditor’s rights issues (including bankruptcy proceedings and assignments for the benefit of creditors)
- Debt collection
Mr. Conlan has received the highest possible Martindale-Hubbell peer review rating of AV.
For fun, Mr. Conlan is a member of Jersey Area Masters Swimming (JAMS) and competes in long distance open water swim races at the Jersey Shore and elsewhere.
- Defended a national payment processing company in a whistleblower and breach of employment contract action where plaintiff sought damages of $26 million. Six-week trial resulted in dismissal of all claims against client, and a judgment against the plaintiff for attorneys’ fees and costs.
- Prosecuted a Conscientious Employee Protection Act (“CEPA”) claim to jury verdict in 8-day trial.
- Represented a manufacturing company in a 5-day trial in federal court resulting in a verdict against its former plant manager for fraud and conversion, and dismissing manager’s wrongful termination claim
- Prosecuted numerous non-competition / solicitation matters to entry of permanent injunction
- Defeated a challenge to a bank’s corporate bylaws that precluded the plaintiff from running for election to the board of directors – affirmed on appeal
- Attained summary judgment for a state agency in a wrongful death action
- Represented commercial landlord in chapter 11 bankruptcy of tenant pharmaceutical company
- Won estate distributions for challengers to wills based upon claims of undue influence
- Obtained dismissal of a million-dollar commission claim by a business broker against a convenience store chain
- Represented privately held mining company in shareholder dispute
- Defended a yacht manufacturer in a preliminary injunction trial initiated by Chapter 11 bankruptcy debtor
Community Service & Affiliations
- In 2014, the New Jersey Supreme Court appointed Mr. Conlan to the District VII Fee Arbitration Committee where he serves as an arbitrator for fee disputes between attorneys and their clients.
- Mr. Conlan served as a trustee on the Board of Young Audiences New Jersey and Eastern Pennsylvania (2017-2018).
- Mr. Conlan served for 19 years as a member of the Board of Trustees for the United Way of Greater Mercer County. He began his affiliation with the United Way in 1995 and is a past Board Chair (2007-2010) and Corporate Counsel (2001-2007).
- Mr. Conlan also served as Asst. Prosecutor for the municipalities of Princeton Borough and Princeton Township for 8 years.