Backes & Backes represented Maddock Pottery during its acquisition by American Standard in 1929 and served as counsel to John A. Roebling's Sons Company in the 1954 sale to Colorado Fuel & Iron.
The firm's history is rooted in the jurisprudential tradition of the Backes family, one of the more distinguished families in the history of New Jersey's legal profession.
In 1848, John Backes immigrated to America from Germany. Finding work as a blacksmith at Cooper, Hewitt & Co.'s rolling mill, he married Mary Hannes, from his hometown of Trier. The father of six died in 1874 from injuries sustained in an explosion at the mill.
Five of the six Backes sons went on to distinguished legal careers. John H. served the New Jersey Court of Chancery for 21 years as vice-chancellor, Theodore was assistant attorney general, William J. served as advisory master in chancery, and Albert practiced law in Newark.
Peter, the eldest son, was admitted to the bar in 1886, and went into private practice. In 1913 he took his son Herbert W. as a partner, calling the firm Backes & Backes. His other son, William Wright Backes, joined the practice in 1930. By the time Peter died in 1941, his grandson Robert Maddock Backes had joined the firm.
From 1892 until 1925 Peter Backes' offices were in the Forst-Richey Building at State and Warren. Backes & Backes then moved into the Trenton Trust Building at 28 West State Street. In 1984 the firm relocated to 15 West Front Street, Trenton, and in 1991 changed its name to Backes & Hill. In 2008, the firm relocated to 3131 Princeton Pike, Building 5, Suite 114, Lawrenceville, NJ